Becoming a pilot is a big milestone for many people, and rightfully so. The sense of freedom and adventure that comes with flight is unparalleled. But do you know what it takes to become a pilot?
You got to have some necessary skills and follow certain steps to get your license. Are you qualified to make your dream a reality? Keep reading to learn more about the process of becoming a pilot.
Becoming a Pilot: Step-By-Step Guide
The first step is to find a flight school. You’ll need to get your license from an accredited flight school to be a pilot.
Here are the basics of becoming a pilot:
- Be 17 years or over: You must be at least 17 years old. This age requirement is set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
- Know English: All pilots must be able to read, speak, write and understand English to safely fly an aircraft and communicate with air traffic control.
- Pass a physical examination: An FAA-approved doctor will need to give you a physical certificate to ensure you’re healthy enough for flying.
- Get an FAA student certificate: The first step in getting your pilot’s license is to get a student certificate from the FAA. This certificate will authorize you to learn to fly and start training for your pilot’s license.
- Start your ground lessons: Once you have your student certificate, you can start your ground lessons. You will learn the basics of flying an aircraft, such as navigation and aircraft systems.
- Start flying lessons: After completing your ground lessons, you can start your flight training. This will teach you how to fly an airplane in various conditions.
- Pass a written exam: The FAA will test your aviation knowledge with a written exam.
- Pass a flight test: The final step in becoming a pilot is to pass a flight test administered by an FAA-approved examiner. AKA “the check ride,” this exam will examine your flying skills and knowledge.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you will be a certified pilot! Pilots have many rewarding career opportunities, so start planning your next adventure today.
Now that you know what it takes, it’s time to take the first step: enrolling in a flight school. Tennessee is home to many great schools, so you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you.
Start your Flying Lessons With The CAVU Pilot
At The CAVU Pilot, we understand the dream of becoming a pilot. That’s why we offer a variety of flight training courses to help you reach your goals. You will learn theoretical knowledge, pre-flight inspection, cockpit preparation, takeoffs, landings, etc.
We have a team of highly experienced instructors who will help you with every step. You will be able to obtain your pilot’s license with ease. Contact us today to learn more about our school and how we can help you become a pilot!